Can cats eat chocolate?

Cat

Chocolate can be found in almost every household, because most people love the candy. For cat owners, the question arises: Can my cat eat chocolate? Does it harm her, is it toxic or completely harmless? The answer to these questions is answered in this article.

the essentials in brief

  • Cats, like dogs , should not eat chocolate.
  • Chocolate contains the substance theobromine , which is toxic to cats.
  • Chocolate consumption can be fatal to cats.

Can a cat eat chocolate?

The answer to this question is simple: no, cats are not allowed to eat chocolate . The reason for this is the cocoa contained in the chocolate. More specifically, the theobromine contained in cocoa. Theobromine is toxic to cats and can kill them. Cats can break down this substance very slowly. Theobromine is an alkaloid and is found in cocoa beans.

Many desserts are made with cocoa. Accordingly, the dangerous substance for cats is found in many sweets, in addition to chocolate, for example, in ice cream or desserts. Most theobromine is found in dark and dark chocolate. Accordingly, these types of chocolate are the most toxic to cats.

Cats naturally don’t feel the need for chocolate. The simple reason is that Cats don’t have a candy receptor on their tongues . That is why it does not often happen that cats snack on chocolate. Many a cat owner thinks it’s supposed to be good and thinks he’s doing something good for the cat with chocolate – but the opposite is the case.

Read Also : 150 Halloween Cat Names

What happens if my cat eats chocolate?

Theobromine is toxic to the cat. If theobromine poisoning is severe, the cat can die from it. The symptoms of theobromine poisoning look like this:

  • Increased blood pressure
  • Accelerated pulse
  • Narrowing of the blood vessels
  • Restlessness
  • Tremble
  • Seizures
  • Overheating
  • Irregular heartbeat
  • Vomit
  • Diarrhea
  • Thirst

However, these symptoms do not necessarily have to occur. It depends on the amount of chocolate eaten. With small amounts it can also happen that there is no poisoning at all. This depends on the cat’s weight and tolerance. Scientifically, it is not exactly proven from what amount there is poisoning. If you are wondering whether a cat can go blind from chocolate , you can rest easy. So far there is no evidence of this. Nevertheless, the symptoms mentioned above should not be underestimated.

Read Also: Best 250 Calico Cat Names

When do the symptoms appear?

The first symptoms appear after about two to four hours . If the cat eats a large amount of chocolate, it can die of theobromine overdose within 12 to 36 hours. If the cat survives, chronic liver damage can result.

How can I prevent poisoning?

Store the chocolate in a place that the cat cannot reach. You should also make sure that cats are sometimes on the prowl and “claw” everything in order to inspect it later in a safe hiding place. Everyone in the household should know about the toxicity of chocolate to cats. Together, make sure that the velvet roommate doesn’t get the chocolate in her claws.

Read Also: Best Cool Cat Names

What should I do if my cat eats chocolate?

Of course, it is possible that a cat nibbles chocolate for some reason. Then you should act quickly.

  • If you find that your pet has nibbled chocolate, you should see a veterinarian immediately.
  • Go to the veterinarian even if you don’t experience any symptoms.
  • If possible, take the pack of the chocolate you eat with you. This way, the veterinarian can better assess the case.
  • Do not try to make the cat vomit itself.
  • If the treatment begins within two to four hours after consumption, the chances of recovery are good. If the cat has already shown disorders of the central nervous system, the chances are worse. Every minute counts!

Post a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*